Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Ice Cream Issue, Summer, 2011

Ice cream and Jersey cow from Woodside Farm Creamery in Delaware

I say it every year, I'll say it again: I love ice cream, especially in the summer -- and if I could have a bowl of peach ice cream every night (or vanilla bean, or rocky road, or bing cherry, or butter almond) without gaining weight I would, but I can't so I don't.

This ice cream issue, I bring to your attention the Food and Wine Magazine article (via Yahoo) titled: "America's Best Ice Cream Cities." In the article Food and Wine highlights privately-owned ice cream parlors, creameries, and dairies around the country that make good ice cream.

If you travel and you like ice cream, America's Best Ice Cream is worth a look: Best Ice Cream. I was happy to see my home state get a mention, Hockessin, Delaware's, Woodside Farm Creamery. Just a few of the other cities mentioned: Scottsdale (Stephen), Denver (RJG), Minneapolis (Jake&Becca), New Orleans, and many more.

In Fort Worth, I still like Blue Bell and Braum's.

.

5 comments:

John said...

I must've had a bad ice cream experience as a kid because in college I just wasn't into ice cream.

More recently, Milwaukee Joe's ice cream became a favorite when they started in Bedford (and when Joe still worked there). I'd have those Java malts after dinner and then complain why I couldn't fall asleep.

This summer I went through a phase of consuming Nestle Drumsticks at a fantastic rate. Probably wouldn't satisfy your taste.

A while back we ordered some of those ice creams from Dallas that were made with flowers. Ever have those?

Francis Shivone said...

John -- I have not heard of the flower ice cream, so no, haven't had on.

I love the Nestle Drumstick. What goes in it I do not know nor do I care. It's like the deep fried tacos at JackintheBox. Some bad things are good.

Sunni R. said...

I had some mascarpone/fig gelato at Central Market the other night that was deelish. I also love Blue Bell, of course, as a native Texan. As far as grocery store ice cream, though, have you tried Haagen Das 5? The chocolate is so good as is the vanilla. My mom used to make a homemade flavor in the old crank ice cream maker called Cherry Nut. She hasn't made it in years, maybe I should put in a request. I guess you can tell by this comment that I like ice cream too!

Francis Shivone said...

Sunni -- I have never had the Hagan Das 5 but I'll try it. Generally the "gourmet" ice creams are too creamy for my tastes, I guess because of a higher percentage of milk fat.

The Philadelphia-area ice cream of choice when I was kid was Breyers although there were plenty of private dairies that sold ice cream. Breyers sold out to one of the big food corps many years ago and isn't as good as it once was.

I like them all, actually, that sums it up.

Thanks.

Doug said...

Nehme at Chadra makes his own ice cream. Gotta try all the flavors including rose and jalepeno.