Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Consumer Reports reports on Hamburgers




August 2020 UPDATE

Opinions on fast-food hamburgers varied and often have less to do with who actually has the better burger but which franchise the reviewer is happiest with. I have no problem with that.

But objectively I think you can make a judgment about which fast-food hamburgers are better than others. I exclude places like 5-Guys because you are buying twice as much as you are at McDonald's , so yes, of course their hamburger should be better.

If we stick with the basic $7.50 for the meal which is best, which is the worst. Here's my opinion:

From worst to best:

5. Burger King. The restaurants are ususally not kept up, the service is usually bad, and the burgers are mediocre. Fries are worst of the major fast foods.

4. McDonald's. In my view the pre-cooked then steamed hamburger which is what they do with all their burgers is a mistake. Unless you are lucky enough to get the burger right off the grill it is usually not hot enough, not juicy, and has a mushy texture. For speed and convenience and cleanliness they win.

3. Wendy's. Some attempt has been made at the Wendy's restaurants to update them and keep them clean. And their burgers are made to order so they are usually hot. I think their fries are weak.

2. In-N-Out

1. Whataburger


























I apologize for yet another hamburger post, but just in case you didn't see today's Yahoo/Consumer Reports article on the best hamburgers., the link below will take you to it.

In summary, the Consumer Reports survey considers Five Guys and In-N-Out to be the best burgers for national companies and McDonald's the worst.

I actually like the McDonald's quarter-pounder when it's fresh and prefer them to Burger-King or Whataburger.

In the Consumer Reports report, 26,000 people were polled and on a 1 - 10 scale Five Guys and In-N-Out received a 7.9, Whataburger received a 7.3, Burger King and Jack-in-the-Box, 6.3, and McDonald's 5.6.

Agree? Disagree?

The Consumer Report article: consumer reports

Share

4 comments:

Unknown said...

what about Mooyah burger they are so much better than five guys

Francis Shivone said...

Thanks Jason. I can't say that I agree with you but it is a good burger.

John said...

I've never tried Five Guys and only had In-N-Out once in Tucson. To me McDonald's burgers taste like goo that has been formed into a burger shape. In fact, I can't eat McD, B.K. or Wendy's w/o feeling nauseas after.

Charlie's is still my first choice for a burger. Kincaid's isn't far behind.

Goodtaste said...

I havent had Five Guys yet tho I hear its not that great but I do really like Smashburger! And In-n-Out is okay in my opinion but I dont care what anybody says....Whataburger will just always rule!