Monday, August 23, 2010

What's New in Fort Worth Food.

Fort Worth has reached a size and population where a new restaurant, coffee shop, pub, or winery is opening every week. I'm aware of about half of them -- maybe. Here are a few -- new -- food-related enterprises:

1. Not Just Here for the Food. A new weblog from Gwin Grogan Grimes. Ms. Grimes is a former Star-Telegram food editor, a chef, the co-owner with husband, Mark Grimes, of Artisan Bread -- and now a blogger. She is active in the Fort Worth Farmer's Market and in the local-food movement. The breads, pastries and such baked at Artisan are made using locally grown products. Eggs, milk, wheat, all local. I go for the scones and the breakfast bread, but it's all good, as they say.

As to her new blog. Not Just Here for the Food is her take on food, restaurants, Texas, and anything else on her mind. Gwin's a real writer, unlike yours truly, who still hasn't written a sentence he is happy with . .  a sentence with which he is happy . . . who still hasn't written a decent sentence.

Anyway, read her blog: Not Just Here for the Food. It's good.

2. Local chef Callie Salls has started a new venture: Linguine & Dirty Martinis. She is offering chef services for private dinners and catered parties, and gourmet cooking classes. Her website provides the details. Ms. Salls would like it -- if you "liked her"-- on Facebook. We wish her well.

3. Pizza -- "Napoletana" style. Jay Jerrier, owner of Dallas-based Il Cane Rosso is coming to 7th Streeet's, Times Ten Cellars with his mobile, wood-fired, Neapolitan pizza.  Starting September 7 at 6 p.m. Jay will be doing a "pizza night" that is open to the public. Mr. Jerrier trained with the Neapolitans from Associazone Verace Pizza Napoletana and earned his certification. His pizzas get nothing but excellent reviews in Texas-wide publications.

Website: Il Cane Rosso

----------------------
Josie, Russ y familia: Buen Viaje!
----------------------

Am I missing anything?

Share:

4 comments:

Callie Salls said...

Thank you so much for the mention and support!

Unknown said...

Thank you, my friend. I had the busiest day ever over at my blog, thanks to your kind words. And I think you are a fine writer. I still struggle with "writing like I talk" -- you know, the whole conversational thing. Loving my Western Civ lessons every day, too.

Lynn said...

You were right; she's in my Bloglines now.

Rambler, bread lover said...

Gwin's a sweetie. She helped me put together a Mother's Day gift basket that proved quite popular. I just wish the store were on my beaten path. Well, and that she wasn't always out of croutons when I do get over that way.