Thursday, April 22, 2010

Neil Young in Dallas

On June 7, Neil Young is coming to Dallas' Morton Myerson Symphony Center. Almost everyone is familiar with his falsetto-like vocals, but Young is as much a lyricist as he is a vocal performer, and belongs to that elite group of still-active '60's-era musicians (the decade not the age), that includes Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Eric Clapton, and Paul McCartney. He keeps writing new music, and performing it. Young has some 400+ songs to his name, including Down By the River, Southern Man, Old Man, & Cinnamon Girl.

The lightning that he caught in the '60's and '70's will probably never be captured in the same way. Not that I get the impression from his interviews that he wants that. He is doing what artists do.

I am sure it will be a great performance, but it is all a little too tame, too smokeless, and too comfortable, when viewed from the lens of my memory. Besides, I think I'm too old to try to sneak into concerts anymore.  But I still love the music. If any music reminds me of the summers of my youth it is 1970 album, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Deja Vu, with songs like Helpless, Country Girl, and Woodstock. It is the background music of many memories. For that alone I wish Neil Young well.

Out of town visitors: visit Fort Worth. Take the Trinity Railway Express from Dallas to Fort Worth.  $7.50 for an all day pass. Fort Worth has a beautiful downtown with good food, great music, and great places to walk and shop.

No comments: