Friday, April 30, 2010

I was a Agency Production Manager for 25 years. Here's all I know:

1. There IS a mistake, find it.

2. Organization is not the same as accomplishment.

3. Perseverance is almost everything. Knowing what the hell you’re doing is the other part.

4. All prices are a function of supply and demand. If you want it bad, you're going to get it bad.

 5. Don't let one problem divert your attention from your primary focus.

6. Check a big job at its final point and its middle point -- not just the starting point.

7. Accept responsibility for what you are responsible. Expect others to do the same.

8. To a vendor, I am a paying customer, their deference to me is not because of my good looks or charm.

9. Every plant manager wants a quick “sign-off” on the job. That's not my problem. Sign off when it is right, not before. Period.

10. Resist the “no, it can’t be done” reflex. It usually can be done.

11. Know what level of imperfection the customer can accept because every printing job is imperfect, except the National Geographic, and I'm not producing the National Geographic.

12. Never whine. Girls whine.

13. All problems seem insurmountable at 3 o'clock in the morning. But they aren't.

14. Everyone gets along until there is a problem.

15. My boss or customer is paying me to worry for them.

    No comments: