Monday, May 4, 2009

Dutch's Hamburgers -- Stttrrrike two.

I went to Dutch's Hamburgers today. I had heard that my first impression of their hamburger was wrong, that Dutch's had a hamburger that could be ranked with the best: Tommy's, Kinkaid's, Freds.

Well sorry folks, but I'll stick with the first impression and here's way: a good hamburger is juicy and tasty. Dutch's is neither.

On this my second visit to Dutch's, I received what is supposed to be a premium hamburger ($6.00 with no cheese) and it was pre-cooked, dry and almost tasteless. Hey Dutch, they've got this new seasoning out, it's called salt.

I mean this sincerely -- I would rather eat a hamburger at McDonald's, Wendys, or Whataburger. I think they taste better.

Regular readers know that I rarely criticize restaurants, but I am criticizing Dutch's because they are charging a premium price and delivering poor quality and all they need to do to improve is to deliver a freshly cooked burger. Stop pre-cooking!

And by the way, screw the "great onion rings" talk. I go to a place like Dutch's for the hamburger, the side dishes are secondary.

My hamburger was bone dry. Period. End of debate. I'm not going back.

15 comments:

Jake Good said...

Are you in town?

Francis Shivone said...

Hey Jake -- Yea, I had a last minute minute in Tyler I needed to attend. Just blowing in and blowing out unfortunately. Did hit CM, Mi Cocina's and Dutch's. Thanks.

Jamal said...

Have you been to Five Guys in Southlake? I love Kincaid's, but Five Guys might be better.

Francis Shivone said...

There's a Five Guys in Southlake?

My favorite hamburger of all times I know nothing of its arrival?

How could this be?

And yes I agree the Five Guys double burger is as good as it gets.

Thank you for the info.

Jake Good said...

I was invited to go to Five Guys on Saturday, but it ended up storming bad and I couldn't ride the motorcycle up there...

Guess I missed out though!

Anonymous said...

what about the third strike?
Ann

Francis Shivone said...

Ann -- After visiting Yucatan today I think that will be a good strike three. Post to come but that is a poor excuse for Mexican food.

Lynn said...

For good Mexican food, try Nelda's on South Cooper in Mansfield, just north of 287. I've not been disappointed yet.

Francis Shivone said...

Thanks Lynn, always good to get your input.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Yucatan is not Mexican food. It's a bar that serves food, but it ain't good. All the plates there are just mounds of stuff - nothing resembling an actual dish. Just mounds of stuff.

Dutch's is hit or miss. I've liked their burgers a few times and not liked them other times. I agree, they're definitely dry most times.

Andrew said...

I hear there were some, shall we say, improper testing techniques used during your last visit...

Francis Shivone said...

Andrew -- I was wondering when you were going to respond. Your brother makes the claim that because I ordered my burger "dry", that is, no mustard, mayo, or ketchup, that I should expect the meat to be overcooked and tasteless.

Au contraire, mes amis.

I ordered it dry because I like the taste of the burger not the condiments, the preference of all true meat lovers.

love, dad

(the other issue is a red herring, what does the bun have to do with it?)

Sunni R. said...

Is Dutch's the place that used to be Jon's Grill across from TCU? Jon's had good burgers, lots of graffiti, and was one of Nick's (class of 92) sentimental faves. You can't get past a dry burger. No amount of condiments can fix that.

I maintain that there is something missing in the burgers at satellite locations of Kincaid's, but that the original location serves up deliciousness. Hamburgers always stir up a healthy debate. My very fave hamburgers are served up right here at home, made with love by my husband. He has a way with a patty. We want to try Five Guys but have to prepare our souls when we visit Southlake. I wish Aledo had a good family friendly burger joint. The Malt Shop on FW Hwy (Wford) has great burgers but not really a "take people and hang out" sort of place.

Francis Shivone said...

Sunni -- Dutch's is on University near Berry. I agree with you about Kinkaid's other restaurants, and Southlake has way too many anglos for me.

Anonymous said...

Dutchs is the best burger in town. I think you need to try again. Third time is a charm. I would a Dutch burger up against Kincaids any day!!