Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blogging for Dollars . . .

A Sunday Reflection


I have read that some people start blogs to make money. I didn't. Thankfully.

I did do a search on the subject of "blogging and money" and found a plethora, yes a plethora, of make money now websites, with the requisite pictures: the sports car, the beach road, and all things jiggling that come with both. All I had to do was buy the $39.95 report (today only).

I didn't pony up the 39 bucks so I guess I'm stuck with what I have: Google ads revenue of $54 in two years. Or 7 cents a day.

I do believe that most of us, especially yours truly, are better off in Aristotle's Golden Mean. Enough money, respect, and pleasure to keep us modestly comfortable -- but not indulgently comfortable. Everyone needs a little failure, a little discomfort, and a rejection or two to keep us on the straight and narrow. Part of the trick in a good life is knowing when to accept the pain, and indeed, when to embrace it.

One final disclosure. The $54 is still "in potentia," I don't get the check from Google until I reach $100.

At the current rate, that's 2011. Until then, I'm still working for food . . . that I cook.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Abraham Lincoln

No comments: