Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good Friday, in the Year of Our Lord, 2009

The Raising of the Cross
Peter Paul Rubens/ 1610

----------------------------------------------
Years ago, as I recall, on the Friday before Easter, between noon and 3pm, my mother would make sure that we three children were inside and silent, or at least playing quietly. I think we had some idea as to why, that this was the time that Christ had died and descended into hell and that everyone should observe these hours with solemnity.

We respected my mother's wish, watching the clock as we did. And looking outside.

I remember Good Friday being dark and cloudy.
----------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I think Mom tried that with us for a few years. I remember that we were quiet and it gave us some sense of the solemnity of the season.

Wish you could have been here for the Good Friday Liturgies at The Atonement. Talk about solemnity.

Ken Neill said...

I got pulled into the choir at St. Mary's this year, it being a desperate situation. Best wishes to the Shivone's in this best of seasons!

Francis Shivone said...

Andrew -- I think she did. And yes, you guys are doing it right.

Ken -- Actually, I'm glad to hear you are back there. And same to you. Happy Easter -- tomorrow.