Saturday, November 29, 2008

Orpheus, Schola Cantorum, Messiah, Nutcracker ...

Here is a summary of some of the Christmas music being performed in the Fort Worth area this Christmas season, 2008. It is by no means an exhaustive list. I am including only performances I have attended or know by reputation, others are equally as good I am sure, but these I know.

Please pass on your suggestions.

Orpheus
Chamber Singers
The best choral group in the area is probably Orpheus Chamber Singers. They are performing in Dallas on December 20. I did not know what great chorale music was until I heard them. Orpheus is a professional choir of trained vocalists. (And I love ya' but: could someone please get a better picture for the website?)

Winter Lights

St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church
6306 Kenwood at Abrams, Dallas
December 20, 7.30pm
Tickets: $30. (I think)
More information http://www.orpheuschambersingers.org/

Schola Cantorum
I suggest any recital by Schola Cantorum. I love listening to them. Admission is free to the following three Christmas performances. (St Stephen's near TCU).
More information: www.scholatexas.com

White's Chapel United Methodist Church
Southlake / Sunday, December 7 / 7:30 PM
St Stephen Presbyterian Church
Fort Worth / Monday, December 8 / 7:30 PM
Trinity United Methodist Church
Arlington / Tuesday, December 9 /7:30 PM

Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra / Handel’s Messiah
I have seen many performances of Handel's Messiah in the Dallas - Fort Worth area, but never this particular performance I am sorry to say. I hear nothing but good about it. The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra with the Southwestern Seminary Master Chorale is an annual holiday concert.
Bass Hall, Fort Worth.
December 9, 7:30 p.m.
Tickets: $15-$55.
More information: www.fwsymphony.org

Brave Combo
I like Brave Combo and this looks like fun. A "Holiday Dance Party,"
8 p.m. at the McDavid Studio of Bass Hall, Fort Worth.
Tickets: $25.
More information: www.basshall.com

The Nutcracker presented by Metropolitan Classical Ballet
I am not a Nutcracker lover but I know many who are, including my wife and son who saw the last performance at Bass Hall. Choreography of Alexander Vetrov and the entire company, including students from the Metropolitan Ballet Academy.
December 19-21
Texas Hall / UTA.
Tickets: $10-$30.
More information: www.mcballet.org

Robert Earl Keen
And then at some point a guy wants to sit back with a Miller Lite and a smoke and turn up the volume of a little Robert Earl. At least I did. Robert Earl Keen performs at his annual New Year’s Eve show at Bass Hall, Fort Worth. I have to say that I would rather see him at Billy Bob's than Bass Hall but either way, I like him.
Tickets: $33-$63.
More information: www.basshall.com

The Star Telegram has a longer and less opinionated list here: http://www.star-telegram.com/living

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Look on my blog tomorrow for information about my old stake's Christmas presentation, which is only incidentally musical.

Francis Shivone said...

Will do. Thanks.