Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Edible Dallas & Fort Worth



I learn a lot from our local Fort Worth weblogs and besides the good old fashioned newspaper, it is the best place for local news.

I discovered the soon to-be-published, Edible Dallas & Fort Worth, on the eatthisfortworth blog. The Edible website is in development and a magazine is announced for spring 2009.

I like the idea of promoting the locally-grown food business for a lot of reasons, including the obvious one that it supports the local economy. I also think locally grown food is healthier and tastes better, which is the best reason to buy locally grown foods. A small-farm egg from free range chickens tastes better. So do tomatoes, peaches, peppers, etc. We had chickens in our Eastside backyard for years and the eggs (when I found them) were unbelievably tasty.

Eating what is in season and locally grown makes sense to me gastronomically -- and it supports local farmers -- and it's better for us ecologically. So how can you go wrong? And if you shop wisely it can save you money, too.

Here's a quote from the upcoming Edible Dallas & Fort Worth website.
Edible Dallas & Fort Worth is a community-based publication that promotes the abundance of local foods in the greater Dallas & Fort Worth areas including counties all the way to the Oklahoma border. We celebrate the growers, producers, retailers, artisans, chefs, bakers, home cooks and gardeners, vintners, brewers and all who energize our community with authentic, locally based food choices.
http://www.edibledfw.com/content/

2 comments:

Lynn said...

When we lived in Irving, we had chickens, rabbits, and a few dairy goats. Best eggs I've ever eaten, and while I am no great shakes as a gardener, I can milk a goat like nobody's business and made a goats-milk ricotta that would knock your socks off.

Francis Shivone said...

I am impressed. I love goats cheese. Goats milk ricotta sounds good.

We tried 2 goats but lasted about 6 months before we gave up.