Thursday, October 9, 2008

What Me Worry? Yes.

Mad Magazine's, Alfred E. Neuman


E
veryone worries.
We just worry about different things. Those of us with children understand worry in its deepest level. Most of us worry about money, which is actually one thing I don't worry about, though I should. Some worries are justified, such as, fretting over a test for which we did not study, and some are not, such as, fretting over a test for which we did study and waking up in the middle of the night thinking, "did I study enough?" Once when my wife and I were practicing group worry, she made the comment that we reserve a certain amount of mental space for worry that we feel obligated to fill. I think this is true.

Sometimes, when I don't have enough of my own problems to worry about, I worry about my children's problems, and sometimes family or friend's problems, and sometimes the children of family or friend's, which is worry's hat trick. Of course, now I have grandchildren so my friend's problems are just going to have to wait in line for a while. I'll even worry for total strangers. Recently, I saw a mother nearly yank a little girl's arm off whilst correcting her and it bothered me for days. That was more pain than worry, though.

Maybe too seriously, I worry what will become of us as a nation and culture. I worry that we mock any attempt at virtue and the belief in a Transcendent Good. I worry about the effect of our cultural satire and sarcasm, mine especially.

In summary, if my owns sins and problems are not enough to worry about at any given time, I will worry about sundry other things in complete disregard to our Lord's instruction to, "take therefore no thought for the morrow . . . Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof."

Which allows me, oddly enough, to come full circle, that is, to worry about the fact that one should not worry . . . so much. People are funny.

No comments: