Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Supper at Emmaus / Rembrandt

Reading for July 6, 2008
The Gospel of Saint Matthew

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”
---------------------------------------------------------

From the website, Art and the Bible

Rembrandt’s first Supper at Emmaus. It shows the exact moment when the two men realize that the person who has been accompanying them on their journey to Emmaus is their deceased master, not just some passer-by. One of the disciples falls on his knees, another recoils.

This early work shows Rembrandt's skill in handling light and darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------

From Thomas Merton's introduction to to City of God, by St. Augustine . . .

What do we mean when we say that Augustine lived the theology that he wrote . . . Christianity is more than a moral code, more than a philosophy, more than a system of rites. Although it is sufficient, in the abstract, to divide the Catholic religion into three aspects and call them creed, code and cult, yet in practice the integral Christian life is something far more than all this. It is more than a belief; it is a life.


No comments: