Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight of the Soul.

Cover of Batman comic book, 1970. DC Comics.


Today is the release of the latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, the sequel to Batman Begins.

It has been many years since Bob Kane and a few collaborators created Batman in 1938. WWII was brewing in skirmish and German occupation. Adolf Hitler had been Germany's leader for 5 years. After all these years the Batman persona has remained the same with a few unfortunate exceptions.

Batman is a darker Superman, Bruce Wayne, a melancholic temperament, in contrast to Clark Kent's pre-Adamic-like cheerfulness. Batman is equally good and well-intentioned, but with a human soul as well as body. Batman's powers derive from his clever contraptions and detective-like ability to see into reality of human evil. Batman emerges from a dungeon to attack evil, Superman swoops down from the sky.

The movie Batman Begins is, in my mind, in the top three all time comic book movies. I put Spiderman at one, Batman Begins, two, the first X-Men at three. The worst comic book movie, by the way, is the Daredevil, unfortunate for me because that was my favorite comic book. I stopped going to opening day shows after Daredevil not wanting to see any more of my childhood fantastical heroes butchered by bad movie making.

I'll wait until the line at the theater subsides, but if you see it tonight or tomorrow please leave a comment. I am reading good reviews.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see it.. had a few friends see it at midnight last night and they were blown away.

All of the reviews coming in say it's absolutely fantastic!

Francis Shivone said...

Thanks Jake -- That's what I'm hearing, too.