Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Believe it or not . . .


I remember flying on commercial airplanes before the days of de-regulation. I remember buying a ticket without being asked for an ID. I can remember someone giving me their ticket, which they weren't using, and me using it without ever revealing my name to the airline.

No mas.

The cartoon (above) is catchy, but actually I don't think the airlines have much choice. They have to be profitable to continue, but the high cost of fuel and additional costs for security has them bleeding money. Since September 11, 2001, airline costs have risen dramatically and that cost is being passed on to the average traveler. We are paying more and enjoying it less. I'll go one step further -- most travelers hate to fly anymore -- and the airline employee hates us flying. It's the darnedest thing I have ever seen. The customers hate it, the employees aren't happy. Something has to give. From 1970 - 2000, the Dallas /Fort Worth area had an engine driving its growth called DFW Airport. We have been benefiting from a thriving airline industry. Well over 50,000 employees directly related to the airlines, not counting support services. A hurting airline industry hurts us.

By the way, it was a Democrat that deregulated the airline industry, thus making flying, until recently anyway, very affordable. That Democrat was Jimmy Carter.

No comments: