Sunday, May 25, 2008

Solemnity - Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ

Rogier van der Weyden 1400 – 1464

From the Gospel of Saint John
Jesus said to the Jewish crowds:
"I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever;
and the bread that I will give
is my flesh for the life of the world."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Following text from Art and the Bible. http://www.artbible.info/art/

Centre panel of the Braque triptych. The work was a turning-point in art north of the Alps. It was one of the first times that saints were depicted in this manner: midway up high, against a background of a worldly landscape, suggesting the universal scope of Christ's message. The legend over Christ's head reads: "ego sum panis vivus", or "I am the living bread". The legend over Mary's head reads: "Magnificat anima mea Dominum: Et exultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo", or in English "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour". It is a line from the Song of Mary (Luke 1:46-55). Above John it reads: "Et Verbum caro factum est Et habitavit in nobis", in English: "And the Word was made flesh, And dwelt among us". That text is from the Angelus.

Closed left wing: John the Baptist
Centre panel: Mary, Jesus, John the Evangelist
Right wing: Mary Magdalene

No comments: