Monday, April 14, 2008

A Request From a Reader . . .

Flickr photo by Joshbousel


W
hen
my wife and I moved to Fort Worth in the early '80s, better days had seen downtown. That's being polite. Many of the shops, department stores and restaurants of the 50's were there but not there. Downtown Fort Worth, like just about every big city in the country, lost residents to the suburbs and retail had followed. Malls became Main Streets. Fortunately, that is no longer the case and Fort Worth is a model city for a vibrant downtown.

That's a long preface to a short request.

Every once in a while someone will tell me a childhood story of something they liked and miss about the downtown of the 50'- 70's. It usually involves a donut, pastry, ice cream or other sweet confection. Over the weekend, I got a request for an old downtown Fort Worth department store recipe. Here's the request sent to my email:
I found a reference to you and your email address when I was Googling Monnig's, where I worked the summer between high school and college in 1956. Yes, a long time ago. I am writing you because I would like to find a recipe for the very excellent breakfast muffins the Monnig's coffee shop baked and served daily. If it has been saved and is available somewhere, I surely appreciate that information.
If you can assist, the email was from Frank Miles, email address: frankmiles3@sbcglobal.net. I'd like to hear about it, too.

Post a comment. I like the stories of the old stores downtown.

Miscellania . . .

1. You guys are slipping. No one corrected me on the use of the word timber as it related to Merle Haggard's voice. It sounds right. But it is wrong. The word is timbre. And, it is pronounced more like tamber. I looked it up.

2. I heard from Stephen that the Beethoven concert at Bass Hall was fantastic. Thanks to Rambler for the reminder, otherwise he wouldn't have known about it.

.

No comments: