Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I Used to Eat Dirt . . . and other food trends.

If you were born between the years 1950 and 1960 it is altogether possible that you, at some time or other, took a taste of your front yard. Why kids before then and kids after then didn't, I don't know, but my scientific inquiries into the matter have led me to conclude that the 50's was the period of children eating dirt. I was one of them.

Now we find that those 50's kids were cutting edge food enthusiasts. According to many reports of health and food trends, pro-biotics is considered at the top of the hip food list http://bit.ly/eeVWJU. For those not in the know, pro-biotics research suggests that bacteria found in healthy soil is an important element to a healthy stomach and intestine, which are critical to overall health. Want to meet girls in the pro-biotics world? Use the phrase, Gut Flora, it gets them every time.

Yet another food trend is salt. Not the Morton's blue cylinder box. The kind from the Himalaya's or the Dead Sea or some other far off place. Central Market in Keller has dozens of choices including many colors and textures. I'm just glad I can eat salt again of any kind. But I would like to meet the marketing guys who decide where their salt is going to come from and what story to tell of its healing properties.

Water is a trend, although a downhill one -- actually, not the water but its bottle. The landfills are filled with them, making drinking a bottle of Fiji Water in Austin as dangerous as wearing mink in New York. Soccer mom beware, you may be spray-painted mid-sip by a crazed (and thirsty, no doubt) eco-terrorist. Then again, if you acquire status from drinking a $2 bottle of water you probably deserve it.

Anyway, the next time you see your child eating something from the front yard go easy on him, who knows, worms may wriggle their way to a food trend yet.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I wanted to respond about Fiji water. Yes, it is actually from Fiji and shipped to the US. I just had my honeymoon there in October. :)

Francis Shivone said...

Thanks Angie, I stand corrected.

Honeymoon in Fiji -- Wow, did you like it?

Anonymous said...

It was unbelieveable! And not as expensive as one would think. The people were amazing, the food was delicious and fresh and the landscape....words cannot decsribe. Easily the best vacation of my life. I would highly reccommend it.

Francis Shivone said...

Angie -- if you are so inclined I'd be interested in a review that we could post. Where to stay, costs, travel time that sort of thing. I used Fiji Water as an example because it is the only one I could think of. Since your post I have looked at it on the web and it really is something. If you are interested in posting, you can email me at the address on the weblog. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to write a review! I will email you soon.

Francis Shivone said...

Angie -- Thank you.