Sunday, September 16, 2007

Food and Faith Sunday

F&FW is traveling. Yesterday I was in an area the favorite of many, the Shenandoah Valley. I got off the freeway and took older adjacent highways through the mountains.

Oh, Shenandoah, I long to hear you.
Away, you rolling river!
Oh, Shenandoah, I long to hear you,
Away, I'm bound away,
'Cross the wide Missouri.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.200031152/default.html
The baritone, Thomas Hampson singing this song is as good as it gets. My son introduced me to him. His rendition of this American song is considered the best. I think the above site has a link to hear him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday's Gospel reading, September 16, 2007, is from St. Lukes Gospel, chapter fifteen, verses one through ten. The prayer is the Memorare.

Tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus,
but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying,
“This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
So to them he addressed this parable.
“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them
would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert
and go after the lost one until he finds it?
And when he does find it,
he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
and, upon his arrival home,
he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
I tell you, in just the same way
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents
than over ninety-nine righteous people
who have no need of repentance.

“Or what woman having ten coins and losing one
would not light a lamp and sweep the house,
searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it,
she calls together her friends and neighbors
and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’
In just the same way, I tell you,
there will be rejoicing among the angels of God
over one sinner who repents.”

Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
That never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
Implored your help,
Or sought your intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence,
I fly unto you,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To you I come,
Before you I stand,
Sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word incarnate,
Despise not my petitions,
But in your mercy hear and answer me.

No comments: