Saturday, August 25, 2007

Have a great summer salad? Tell me.

I don't know about you, but in the summer I like lots of chilled fruits and vegetables, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, iceberg lettuce, and cold meats like chicken breast or fish like canned albacore tuna. My wife frequently makes a big bowl of summer salad that stays fresh in the refrigerator for days. It goes something like this. A mixture of crispy iceberg lettuce, romaine and butter leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pulled chicken breast, sliced or chopped almonds, sliced seedless grapes, blue cheese or sharp cheddar, sliced carrots, sliced English cucumbers and chopped celery, sea salt and course ground pepper. Dressing is "to taste", but I like blue cheese.
Farmer's Market: I know we have a farmer's market, sort of, but Dallas has a Farmers Market of considerable size and selection. When tomatoes are in season I like to buy the farm grown tomatoes that are "ugly", that is not perfectly round and shaped, but perfect for salsas, slicing and tomato sauce. They are very inexpensive and worth the drive to Dallas.

No comments: